History of the Max Planck Institute of Neurobiology
In 1917, one of the first privately financed, university-independent and interdisciplinary brain research institutes was founded in Munich: the German Research Institute of Psychiatry. Unusual for that time was Institute's concept which incorporated biological as well as clinical approaches, aiming at a better understanding of the brain and improved treatments for psychiatric disorders.
In 1962, the Institute was reorganized according to their respective research foci into a Clinical and an Experimental Department. In 1998, the Experimental Department was acknowledged as the independent the Max Planck Institute (MPI) of Neurobiology. The Clinical Department continues to exist as Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry (www.psych.mpg.de/en).