Born 9. Januar 1960 in Berkeley, USA.
Physics Degree at Eberhard-Karls Universität Tübingen (1984).
PhD in Neurobiology, Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics, Tübingen (1988).
Postdoc with Amiram Grinvald and Torsten Wiesel, Rockefeller University, New York (1989/90).
Research Assistant with Wolf Singer, Max Planck Institute for Brain Research, Frankfurt (1991/1992).
Independent Group Leader, Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, Martinsried (1993-1998).
Director, Max Planck Institute of Neurobiology, Martinsried (since 1998).
Professor at the Ludwig Maximilians University München (since 2002).
Governor, Wellcome Trust, London, UK (2014-2021).
Adjunct Professor at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim Norway (since 2014).
Scientific Advisor, Chan Zuckerberg Advisor, San Francisco, USA (since 2016).
Honors and awards
- Member of the Academia Europaea (since 2003).
- Ernst Jung Prize for Medicine (2004).
- Member of EMBO (since 2006).
- Member of the German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina (since 2010).
- Member of the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) (since 2020).